(ET) charger

If I'm reasonably close to right, I think the capacitor with its seperate winding corrects for the inductive lag of the transformer and improves the "power factor". This is the "out of step" ratio between the sine waves of voltage and current., Had an old fellow explain it to me once but that was a while ago and the senior moments have kinda kicked in.

wombat

BTW, the correct voltage (more or less) for charging a wet cell is 2.7 volts.