Re: (ET) E-15 Rear Discharge Mower Refurb

The last couple emails seemed to deal with removing the upper bearing from the shaft. They jogged my memory about an old puller I had tucked away. It's the wrong size, but I can see that the upper bearing would easily come off with a puller of the correct dimensions.

The lower bearing however is really the concern. It's very rusty - the seal underneath is intact but either worn out, inadequately designed, or just flawed. Some rust has even made its way onto the rotor. The clutch body is still attached and the bottom of the case rusted onto the lower bearing. It appears from the drawings on the ET web site, that I have missed a step - there is a key shown that I don't understand how to remove. I guess it holds the clutch body to the motor shaft. As for removing the end of the case, I have applied penetrating oil and could just try to apply brute force (hammering) to remove it, but I want to be sure that I am properly disassembling the motor and not to being too rough on it. Anyone else been through this and have any nuggets? Is there an improved seal available for the lower bearing?

Thanks,
Andy