Re: (ET) gm car

On Wed, 12 Mar 2003 12:10:39 -0800 (PST), "Pieter Litchfield" wrote:
> Does anyone know of a study that attempts to quantify all the costs of
> building and operating a vehicle?  Manufacturing, raw materials, fuel,
> fuel
> transpiration,disposal, etc?  I love my ET, but I'm not convinced when
> all
> is taken into account that it is an economic choice.  For example, while
> the
> vehicle itself is "clean", the power plant that made the Kws to charge
> it is
> not.  But it can be or a cost.

It is far easier to control pollution at a single source (power plant) than
thousands of sources (cars, trucks and tractors).  That alone is worth it
have all the vehicles become low to zero emissions over time and put the
burden on the power plant.  Besides, solar, hyrdo, wind, etc. are always
good
options for generation, and there are strides being made to convert the
large
power plants to such sources.  Here in Maryland, there is a bill on the
senate
floor to have all power generation plants have at least 7% from renewable
energy sources by 2013.  I hope it passes.  There is also a process
available
(here at least) to have all of your power come from wind, it works by first
paying the regular rate through one's local power company, then paying an
extra 5% to a wind generation plant.  They're called wind credits.

Also, you could just hook your car or tractor up directly to solar panels
as
some ET'ers have already done.  The downsides are only the cost of the
panels
and the controller, and the availability of the sun.

> In addition, the batteries contain lead
> which has a disposal cost encountered every few years.

We have a local battery recycle program.  They'll take all batteries for
free
and recycle every one of them.

Maryland -- E20

 mailto:Jeremy Gagliardi com