RE: (ET) gm car

On Wed, 12 Mar 2003 12:29:26 -0800 (PST), "Phil Trice" wrote:
>       On the other hand, think of the work to be done in order to
> bring up an equivalent infrastructure to refuel with hydrogen. Sure, the
> raw materials are readily available, and renewable, but the technology
> to produce, transport, store, deliver, and meter it is in its infancy.
> Particularly if you consider the scale  on which gasoline is now
> available.

I figured out why the Bush administration is so willing to accept hydrogen
fuel cell vehicles over EVs or other renewable sources -- hydrogen is
produced
from fossil fuels.  Electrolysis from water is possible, but extremely cost
prohibitive at the moment.  That means supporting hydrogen fuel cells will
keep the gas companies in business for a long while unless & until
electrolysis becomes a viable alternative.

Additionally, I've read several articles that suggest the infrastructure
that
will be put in place will be to put a methane-to-hyrdrogen converter in
place
at most gas stations, and therefore it can be produced right on the spot,
rather than transported in cryogenic tankers.  FYI, hydrogen can only be
transported for about 100 miles via a pipeline, so that isn't much of an
option at all.  I think we'll see a lot of large gas stations erect a
methane-to-hydrogen pump in the short term, than all stations eventually,
and
in the long term, perhaps they will discontinue gasoline.  But, we haven't
solved the problem until hydrogen can be produced cleanly.

 mailto:Jeremy Gagliardi com
 http://Jeremy.Gagliardi.com