Re: (ET) gm car

On 12 Mar 2003 at 7:11, Pieter Litchfield wrote:

> Well don't condemn GM too soon.

The story goes that when GM showed the Impact prototype at the LA auto
show
in I think 1991, one of their executives was standing next to a very
enthusiastic member of CARB (California Air Resources Board)He turned to
him
and said, "You're not going to make us BUILD that car, are you?"

You know about CARB, right?  The organization charged with protecting CA's
air?  They were stacked with compliant members by the CA governor.  GM and
others actually SUED them for trying to do their jobs.  They caved.  Now
the
automakers know that they can get what they want by threatening legal
action.  Not only can CARB now not get ZEVs, they won't be able to get any
further improvement in conventional vehicles.  They may as well disband.

Back to the EV1. Read "The Car That Could" (if you can find a copy). That
will tell you some of what happened.

GM is not interested in the public good nor in advancing the state of the
art in transportation.  The US (and world) economic system doesn't lend
itself well to anything but short-term bottom line.  If EVs come to the US
--
 and GM and the others will do everything possible to see that they don't
--

The thing is, the EV1 situation is just a damn shame.  The better you know
the EV1, the more you'll lament GM's abandonment of it.  They designed an

GM made a business decision to walk away from that beautiful engineering.
That's bad enough.  But they could have sold the cars to the drivers with
the understanding that GM wouldn't support them.  They refused.  They are
going to take them and crush them.  Crush them!  What if GE had done that
with the Elec-trak?

GM imply that they want to avoid liability.  I don't believe that it was
or
is that.  They knew the car was too successful and they're afraid that
customer demand will "make us BUILD that car."

And they just don't want to.

Right to the end, GM had waiting lists for the EV1, and that doesn't even
count the people who they turned away because their incomes were too low
or
for other obscure reasons.  That's despite the paucity of advertising,
despite their constant negative PR for their own vehicle in every one of
the
media, from the auto mags to network television news.  If they had let
those
few hundred leased EV1s stay in the hands of real world drivers, the
demand
would have continued to grow even with all their active work against it.
And all GM wanted to do was bury the whole issue, especially since they
had
finally coerced CARB into giving up.

Add to this the fact that ^just now^ battery technology is finally
catching
up -- well, as far as I'm concerned, what happened with the EV1 ought to
be
a crime.

Sorry to hit so hard.  This whole debacle, including GM's bad faith
behavior
and utterly brazen legal action, the Washington administration's
outrageous
interference in it, and CARB's craven irresponsiblity, just about makes me
livid.

> For the moment, it appears that hybrids are gaining acceptance.

I know some people don't agree with me -- but these are not hybrids.  The
definition of a hybrid is a vehicle that uses two sources of energy.
These
cars derive all their energy from gasoline.

They're more efficient, and that's good.  But they're not true hybrids.

Now, if Toyota were to make the motor capable of continuous use instead of
intermittent, add battery capacity, make it possible to plug it in for
part
of the energy, and allow it to run for several miles on electricity alone
without ever starting the engine -- the Prius would be a true hybrid.
There
are people working to hack the car's software and hardware to make that
possible, but it appears to be a formidable challenge.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
1991 Solectria Force 144vac
1991 Ford Escort Green/EV 128vdc
1970 GE Elec-trak E15 36vdc
1974 Avco New Idea 36vdc
Thou shalt not send me any thing which says unto thee, "send this to all

thou knowest."  Neither shalt thou send me any spam, lest I smite thee.

Est. yearly US cost to safeguard Persian Gulf oil supply: $50 billion

Est. 2001 value of US crude oil imports from Persian Gulf: $19 billion
                                -- Harper's Index, April 2002