RE: (ET) gm car

Peter,
        You make as number of good points vis a vis the cost of
producing an EV. However, I would hesitate to say that the
infrastructure is not there. In fact, compared to, say, *hydrogen*
powered vehicles, most of the infrastructure is already in place for
refueling EVs. Think of it; we have electricity in most homes, at most
places of work, even on most street corners. The processes required to
produce, transport, and utilize elctricity are well known, in place, and
far down on the economy-of-scale.
        On the other hand, think of the work to be done in order to
bring up an equivalent infrastructure to refuel with hydrogen. Sure, the
raw materials are readily available, and renewable, but the technology
to produce, transport, store, deliver, and meter it is in its infancy.
Particularly if you consider the scale  on which gasoline is now
available.
        I dunno. In the mid-70s, I actually thought that
alternative-energy development would take off. Even now, there's a part
of me that twitches with the optimism that it could happen again. Any
others in the audience?

        -Phil Trice
        West Lafayette, IN
        Sears Electric parts-on-the-floor project