From: Max Hall [mailto:maxmatic attbi com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 05, 2003 9:58 PM
To: elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu
Subject: Re: (ET) Snow!

My thoughts on this; and I did as well in this last slushy New England
snowstorm as I ever have (in terms of chute-clogging, at least...)

General philosophy: It seems to me that the two worst factors are wetness,
and slowness. The
wetter the snow, the higher its velocity has to be not to jam up!

And thus these practices:
- I have surface rust inside the chute... I always rub paraffin wax (the
kind you can buy at the supermarket for
sealing jars in canning) inside the chute, that helps! Once each storm...
- tractor speed counts: get a head of steam up for *light* snow
- I sometimes get a pile of snow in the mouth of the beast, and some
velocity, *before* I flip the PTO switch
- when you're done with a pass, stop the tractor and turn off the PTO; let
the auger spin down... don't let the snow pile up just outside the chute;
that's the beginning of a jam.
- don't even bother trying to throw thin slush... it just gets jammed. Use
the
thrower as a plow.
- *really* wet slush won't clog the chute... and it's beautiful to watch!
Like a damn fireboat.
- if you think you're getting clogged, rotate the chute aiming (if you can)
- sometimes it clogs! I have become pretty quick at getting it out... best
tool is hockey stick. Use the blade for flicking the top layers of
compacted
slush out, then the butt of the handle to pop the remaining crud downward.

As some of you know, I have a second set of 6 batts on the tractor in
winter, so I may have more toque available to the thrower. (Peep it at
http://www.maxamtic.com/elektrak.htm)

LOVE that TRACTOR!

-Maxo

http://www.maxmatic.com/