Re: (ET) Snow!

David,

I just did 6-8" heavy wet snow in North Andover, MA last weekend with
reasonable success.  I had to unclog the chute 6-8 times while doing our
250'
driveway.

Best snowthower performance comes with a slick surface anywhere the snow
might
touch.  Of course this is very hard with our old slightly rusty machines
with
flat worn paint.  As a group member (remind me who)suggested to me,
rubbing
parrafin wax (at grochery or hardware store)all over all the surfaces
before
each use gives some slickness to help.  Watch out because there are many
sharp
edges to mash your knuckles on, best to use thick gloves and do it
carefully.

The best solution would be to sand blast the rust spots and prime and
paint the
whole inside of the unit, but this is alot of work.  I am thinking about
doing
this next summer.  The same approach (new paint) will make the lawnmower
decks
less likely to get grass clogged and stuck to the deck and makes it easy
clean out.  Does anyone recommend a really good paint for these severe
dutys?

Also, running with a good charge for maximum motor power helps.  I have
found
it is best not to stop and start many times to prevent clogging.  Go at it
as
continuously as possible.  Also, make sure you are eating enough snow at a
time, obviously also not letting the ampmeter go beyond the high scale.  I
also
found this to help.  Lastly, getting the chain (and chain&belt if the
36-38"
version)snug and well oiled, and maybe replaced if worn will help.

James