From: Dave Krafft [mailto:dkrafft bitstream net]
Sent: Monday, February 03, 2003 3:20 PM
To: elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu
Subject: Re: (ET) Snow!

At 11:02 PM 2/2/03 -0600, you wrote:
>     Here in Minneapolis we have finally had enough  snowfall to haul   I
>was a little concerned that  I'd have enough traction,....

Well, I learned a few small lessons in the traction department today with
our first good snowfall of the year! I live pretty near Chris and when it
snowed there was a solid layer of mush and ice below about 6" of fresh
snow. The tractor (E-15) had plenty of power but the slush turned to slick
ice as soon as you exposed it to the air. Got stuck several times on flat
ground (Lesson #1: take smaller bites) dug it out. Started taking smaller
bites. Started sliding around as exposed slush froze, got stuck again!
(lesson #2: get more weight over back wheels) added rear box with about
100lbs of brick. Dug it out again. Started plowing again, better until I
realized that I needed to rearrange the big piles I had created, Oops, not
enough traction for that! (Lesson #3: get out and put on chains) Dug out
the tractor again. Put on a set of chains that sort of fit. Better. Now
wait a minute this has taken over an hour of which 45 minutes has been
digging, normally takes 45 min total to shovel the drive (lesson #4: Leave
tractor set up for next storm!) Go inside get some Ibprofen and a warm cup
of coffee and contemplate today's experiences!

Happy plowing!

Dave Krafft
St. Louis Park, MN  USA
http://www.mnhpva.org