Re: (ET) Re:MY "NEW IDEA" EGT ON FIRE

Scary moments there for Paul... and now I do the "could it happen to me" mental exercise.

A few thoughts: Bill Gunn has replacement disconnects that are more rugged than the original equipment. I believe he also has the plastic covers to go over the batteries to add some protection for the terminals. And probably has some official weight boxes to put in the rear stabbers and safely carry those concrete blocks.

From some of the EV suppliers you can get rubber boots that go over the ends of the cables to cover the cable clamp & terminal offering another layer of protection.

And for fuses... be sure to use ones rated for at least 50 volts (for the peak voltage at end of charge) and a capable of interrupting a couple thousand amps (the short circuit current of the battery). A good ceramic/glass fuse will keep the spark inside. Those plastic automotive blade fuses are only rated for 32 volts and will might arc and melt.

Glad the damage wasn't worse than it was.

Bob Murcek wrote:
I thought about putting fuses in the battery box, but I've wondered about
the danger of a blowing fuse making a spark that would set off the
hydrogen.  (If the pack was overloaded it would probably be outgassing
more than usual.)  Anyone have expertise in this area?

_________
Jim Coate
1992 Chevy S10
1970's Elec-Trak