Re: (ET) Re:MY "NEW IDEA" EGT ON FIRE

I thought about putting fuses in the battery box, but I've wondered about
the danger of a blowing fuse making a spark that would set off the
hydrogen.  (If the pack was overloaded it would probably be outgassing
more than usual.)  Anyone have expertise in this area?

>>> <Jeremy Gagliardi com> 1/17/2003 12:34:37 PM >>>
Something similar happened to my father.  He originally owned two E20s (I
have
since inherited one of them).  The E20 he used in Potomac, Md where we
lived
(as opposed to Pennsylvania where we vacationed) came back from the shop
one
day, and upon first use, something began smoking under the seat.  While he
was
still on it, one of the batteries exploded.  Because he was sitting on it,
the
explosion went down and out, rather than on him, but gave him a fairly big
jolt.  He got rid of the tractor soon after and never bought another one.
remember him only using the one in Pennsylvania.  I don't remember there
being
a tractor in Maryland at all (I was 4 when we moved there), so the
explosion
must have happened fairly early on, probably 74-75 when I was still 4 or 5.

Recently, I inspected my E20 and did find worn wires both under the tractor
and in the steering box.  One had caused the terminal of one of the rear
batteries to melt from a momentary (thank God!) cross connect.  I have
since
repaired the wires and nothing serious has happened.  I use this as a
caution
to periodically inspect all wires and battery connections in my tractor.

I'm thinking putting in some big fuses at the batteries just might be a
great
idea.

--
Jeremy Gagliardi