Re: (ET) minimum charging voltage

SteveS wrote:
> My E12S doesn't seem to have as much get up and go as it did a few
> months ago,...

> 1. What minimum charging voltage should I have?

By the end of the cycle the voltage should rise to 43 - 45 volts, and if
you look inside the batteries you should see some bubbling going on.
(both tested while the charger is still running!)

> 2. If the 40V is too low, could it be due to the capacitor in the
> charger?

You might want to temporarily bypass the charge controller (or turn it
up as high as it goes) to see what the charger itself can do before
drawing any conclusions.

> 3. I have yet needed to add water to the batteries. Does this indicate
> undercharging, or do they need water only rarely?

It depends on how many times you have cycled them in the 4 months.
Around 20-40 cycles between watering would be reasonable. If used only
once every week or two, that could be the better part of a year. If used
daily, watering becomes a monthly ritual. If you never need to add
water, that would be a symptom of undercharging; needing very frequent
watering would be a symptom of over charging.

> 4. If I have been undercharging, does this shorten the battery life
> significantly (say no!)?

If only mildly undercharged and if you put them back on charge when the
tractor first gets pooped out, then "no!" - they should still be fine.
If seriously undercharged and allowed to sit a long time, or if had a
philosophy of "it will run for 1.5 hours" and then use it for 1.5 hours
regardless of what the gages say, then you could being doing real damage.

> I think I will put my 12V auto-charger on them two at a time to see if
> that helps.

Good idea. and good luck.

_________
Jim Coate