Re: (ET) minimum charging voltage

On 12 Aug 2002 at 15:47, SteveS wrote:

> Undercharging the batteries won't shorten the life, you just
>   won't get the power out of them that you could.

Sorry, I have to disagree.  Prolonged undercharging is almost as bad as
overcharging.  It causes sulfation, in which the lead sulfate normally
formed on the plates during discharge forms large crystals.  These flake
off
and settle to the bottom of the cells.  This also causes a reduction in
the
electrolyte concentration (specific gravity).

In spite of what the pulse gadget and snake oil makers claim, this form of
sulfation is irreversible.  Sulfation results in a premature, permanent
loss
of capacity.

I don't know at what voltage the typical ET charger operates since I
charge
mine with a different system.  However, if flooded golf car batteries are
charged with a constant voltage charger, they should be charged to about
2.45 volts per cell.  This is 44.1 volts for a 36 volt pack.  The battery
is
fully charged when current falls to 2-4% of amp-hour capacity, about 5
amps.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
1991 Solectria Force 144vac
1991 Ford Escort Green/EV 128vdc
1970 GE Elec-trak E15 36vdc
1974 Avco New Idea 36vdc
Thou shalt not send me any thing which says unto thee, "send this to all

thou knowest."  Neither shalt thou send me any spam, lest I smite thee.

Est. yearly US cost to safeguard Persian Gulf oil supply: $50 billion

Est. 2001 value of US crude oil imports from Persian Gulf: $19 billion
                                -- Harper's Index, April 2002