(ET) minimum charging voltage

My E12S doesn't seem to have as much get up and go as it did a few months ago, and I suspected a weak charging system. I have a new (4 months old) set of Trojans T-105s and the resting voltage (measured several hours after a full charge cycle) is about 37.5V. That seems rather low. The charger only puts out about 40V. I went thru the troubleshooting guide and the voltages come out just within the lower limits, but 40V doesn't seem right. Batteries have water and connections are clean and tight. So I have the following questions:

1. What minimum charging voltage should I have?
2. If the 40V is too low, could it be due to the capacitor in the charger?
3. I have yet needed to add water to the batteries. Does this indicate undercharging, or do they need water only rarely?
4. If I have been undercharging, does this shorten the battery life significantly (say no!)?

I have the Harry Landis's charger control and it seems to work properly, and is set at 38V (to turn on charger).

I think I will put my 12V auto-charger on them two at a time to see if that helps.

TIA,

SteveS
E12S