(ET) getting started with solar

This is somewhere between on/off topic.  This project will eventually
lead to me using solar power to recharge my ET, but in the meantime...

I want to get started using solar power, but I don't want to commit to a
really large project.

I have a DC-AC inverter already.  It's rated for 10-15VDC input and
outputs AC at 1kW continuous, 2kW peak.

The thought I had was to plug the inverter into one of those electric
grid meters that can run in reverse and start getting a discount on my
electricity from the power company.

I know I can get solar panels at all kinds of voltages and wattages and
that those outputs depend on the amount of sun on the panel.

However, I'm a little bit fuzzy on how I hook up the panel to the
inverter.  Can the panel be connected directly to the inverter, or does
it first have to charge a batter, then let the battery power the
inverter?

Do you all have any suggestions for a good place to buy solar panels?

--
 mailto:Jeremy Gagliardi com