From: owner-elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu [mailto:owner-elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu]On Behalf Of Bob Murcek
Sent: Tuesday, June 25, 2002 1:28 PM
To: elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu; John deRivaz com
Subject: Re: (ET) Kid car idea

Don't underestimate them old tape drive motors!  If it's as big as a mower deck motor (3-4" in diameter, 6" or so tall), it's probably got enough oomph for a kiddy car.  In any case, from my experience, it would be better to start out underpowered......

>>> "John de Rivaz" <John deRivaz com> 6/25/2002 3:07:56 PM >>>
> I was checking in my shop and I have a 50 VDC nominal
> motor (that came out of a 9-track computer tape drive made by DEC)

I would rather doubt it. The power required to haul a kid about in a toy car
is somewhat more than move tape. However there is a rule of thumb mentioned
on this list or possibly a UK one which said that your electric motor can be
1/4 the horsepower of a gas engine used in a similar application. This is
because the electric motor is capable of brief overloads, whereas a gas
motor just stops. Therefore the gas HP has to be the peak load expected. If
you know the sort of HP a gas engine would be, then divide by 4 and you get
the electric HP needed. I HP = 746 watts. For a DC motor, the power in watts
= emf (volts) x current (amps) x efficiency. Efficiency is high, about 90%
(which would be 0.9 in the suggested calculation).

--
Sincerely, John de Rivaz:      http://www.deRivaz.com :
http://www.AlecHarleyReeves.com