Re: (ET) getting started with solar

Jeremy:

I run my E20 on solar. It works exceptionally well; I haven't charged it in
a year. However not the way you are thinking...

You do *NOT* want to plug an inverter into your home's power grid. It will
be out of sync with the utility and will probably blow up. Even if it
doesn't, this is *highly* unsafe to do. If the grid power fails, you could
electrocute a line guy as well. If you want to go grid-tie, buy a UL LISTED
grid tie inverter. Trace sells them, but they cost $$$.

If you want to charge the E20, what you want to do is hook directly from
the
panels to the batteries. Think: The charger in the E20 is maybe 60%
efficient. A really good inverter is 90% efficient. That would mean that
46%
of your solar power would go to waste with an inverter using the onboard
charger. Go direct and you get 100% efficiency.

Check out my web page: http://www.crystel.com for details on how I did it.
Three 60 watt Solarex MSX60 panels and a 36 volt regulator from the last
place you looked.com is all you really need (Solarex SA18)

Oh and a fused disconnect box. You can connect to the battery core via the
little 20amp Hubbel connector on the elec-trak. It's right there, is
polarized, and it's protected by the disconnect on the elec-trak and the
40amp circuit breaker.

Chris