RE: (ET) E15 problem update

I'm glad you got it working.  Now for some other issues...

-----Original Message-----
From: vince albrecht [mailto:wva329 hotmail com]
Sent: Monday, May 13, 2002 10:43 AM
To: elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu
Subject: (ET) E15 problem update

On a wet Saturday, i tackled my e15 problems with the very helpful advice from the group.  The first thing i did was replace the center #3 control fuse and success!  the fuel gauge registered between green and red.  I failed to check that fuse earlier as I thought if it were blown it would protrude outside the "fabric".  So, i replaced it with a glass type fuse.

I cleaned completely the brake switch from the pedal back to the rear wheel.  We were able to mow the 2.5 acres inside 1.5 hrs, with plenty of battery power to go!  I say that because this was the first time that we could get the tractor into any of the 2 drive positions!  In the past we had to go into low, which uses up considerable amount of energy.  That in itself is a mystery to me as why, all of a sudden, it seemed to work in all ranges!

2 additional problems that I'm going try to study the troubleshooting guide:

1) It was a rainy, wet soaked lawn, but the tractor had trouble negotiating the slight hills on the property.  I put air in the tires and it seemed to go a little better.  But i was surprised that it didn't have the power so that i had to get off and give the tractor a push to get it going...

I'm glad you found the bad fuse.  Lot's of times the holder is corroded as well.

The 'power-pulse' button may help to get it moving on slopes.   I can't imagine pushing the thing!

In wet conditions, some of the coils (if old) may have developed shorts.  Some speeds (or reverse) may not work, but then work fine if dry.  The Homeowner's Service Manual is a pretty good investment, even if you don't feel comfortable with electric equipment.  Choosing which coil is bad requires an ohm-meter, and comparing adjacent coils.  Good luck.

Larry Elie

 2) also, all positions are forward.  the reverse goes forward.  so we did'nt have reverse.  in times past, i had all reverse and no forward.  i tried cleaning the speed control apparatus.  apparently the relay wiring might be off?
thanks again for all your help.  even my 80 year old mother in law came out to take pictures of us on the tractor!  It brought back pleasant memories when her husband used to play with the tool and at various times would go to Edgerton, WI, to see Bill Gunn for supplies and help.

vince albrecht, cpa, mdiv
wva329 hotmail com
312.513.3281 cell

Larry Elie