(ET) Mowing part 2

Thanks for the advice everyone. It turns out that I did have one of the two
springs disconnected on the deck. Once I re-attached that the deck turns a
lot better. It's also got one bent wheel (causing it to drag sometimes).
The
differental checks out.

However the trick of sweeping in reverse is impressive; I forgot that just
as you can do a long arc in forward, you can do a tight sweep/arc when
going
in reverse. I will have to spend some time mastering this, but it does
allow
one to do some interesting things...

Today I checked the tractor in the evening and to my surprise the batteries
were 100% *full*. It looks like I overestimated the amount of power drawn
mow the lawn; I can mow the entire front yard (1/2 acre plus the hill) and
charge it in a day of sunshine.

And it's only spring. And I am thinking of putting another panel on the
shed? Not needed; I will bet that one could charge an Elec-Trak in a week
by
using three 60 watt solar panels (I have six, going to nine for the
"balanced look")...

So I spent some time working on the back yard. The grass is still short
however the mower does well on the ground ivy that grows in clumps. After
driving it around for about 3/4 of an hour I stopped and checked the
batteries.

All were 6.24 volts except for one at 6.22 and one at 6.28. One of the
battery clamps was a bit warm; I think I need to pull it off and replace it
this weekend. Not a big problem; cable ends are quite reasonable and I have
replaced six already. Might as well do the other six.

Question: Is there a way to put the mower in an up position so I can travel
with it? When I had it suspended by the lift strap alone it would start to
swing, get into a harmonic, and break the strap (wham!)

I am impressed. Next step is to call Mr. Gunn and order a new set of wheels
and bushings for the front.

Chris