(ET) Mower Deck Motors

Group,

After having three spare mower deck motors rebuilt by Bill Gunn, He asked
me
when was the last time I had the three motors looked at on my primary mower
deck. I said as far as I knew they had never been rebuilt, but I was sure
they were ok as they spun free and did not get hot. Well there was dead
silence on the phone for a few seconds, and then he said it would be a good
idea to take the motors apart and check them. After hanging up the phone I
took this as a fair warning that he knows more about this than me. Bill
said
that it was easy to remove the armature from the case with out taking the
case off the deck. He was right the armature just pulled out the bottom of
the deck after I had removed the two nuts from the long bolts that hold the
top brush plate on.

What I found was pitted, cracked brushes. Commutators that need to be
turned
and all the bearing are crunchy to turn.

These things are 30 years old. Fair warning is given.

  Dwight

Dwight L. Hazen, Indiana University, UITS
Bloomington, In. 47408-7378 Phone 812-855-5367 hazen indiana edu
http://php.ucs.indiana.edu/~hazen/ Ham Radio wb9tlh arrl net
IP Phone 317.278.4014   Change is inevitable except from a vending machine.