(ET) seat hinge, weight box, speed controls & molex connector

Chris,

You and Steve have the right idea about something to hold the seat hinge from cracking. I've been going to put a "stop" of some kind on mine for years, but have never gotten to it. Just was "careful" with it.

Chris: the box that you mentioned....Is it 30" X 8" X 8" with a partition 10" from one end?  If so, it is the weight box. I don't remember if I sent you a copy of page 4 of the GEZ-5338C Elec-Trak attachment & accessory brochure or not, but it says that it will hold 5 standard 4" concrete blocks @ 40# ea. for 200# or it can be used as a tool carrier.  I took the box off mine and used the frame to build the rear battery box that held the 3 group 27  12 volt batteries. I'll send you a photo in a few days (when I get the pictures all used up on the roll). I just found the "new" looking weight box as I was cleaning out the barn, the other day. I was wondering where I got the frame for the battery box, as I knew they didn't sell me the frame by itself, as they also had the battery box and wiring as a kit. It was "too costly" for my budget, so I hooked it up myself. The I-5, however has (had) a power plug at the right rear fender for operating attachments, such as fork lifts and other commercial equipment. That is where I plugged in the extra batteries. The charger handled all the batteries well.  The wiring (a red and a black # 6 or #8) comes out a gromet at the right side of the rear battery box.( I had to go out and look at it after I read your post.) This plug was a very good ,flat, polarized plug, but the last time I cleaned it, I sprayed some electrical cleaner on it that said not to use it on a certain type of plastic. Who would have known that I had any of that plastic on my property  Sad to say, the plastic "exploded". I then realized how plastic explosives function! I haven't used the tractor, much, since. (But mainly due to the accelerator control malfunctioning as you mentioned. No cleaner that I tried would restore it. No lube that I tried would allow it to slide freely like it did when new.) The plug isn't something that I can find anywhere around here.

The relays and the solid state circuit board on the E 20 / I-5 tractors work in conjuction to limit the amperage to the drive motor when you press the accelerator to the floor. It would be almost a short circuit to the batteries and the wiring with that surge. The motor has a centrifugal switch in it that lets the control circuit know that the motor is above a given RPM before letting the full power flow. Up to that point, you will hear a pulsing of the relays which are limiting the current. The solid state control board does some important things to keep track of everything, however, if you impatiently switch from forward to reverse, habitually, with out leaving the accelerator up all the way, (or if it sticks and doesn't return completely), instead of burning points on relays, you will burn out something in the circuit board and will have to replace it. I forget what happens (doesn't happen ) when it burns out whatever, but I had it happen a couple times. I was going to trouble shoot the board, but didn't have time, as usual, so I just bought a new one. Now, that may be a big problem! Maybe they are still available from Bill Gunn.

What is the "molex" connector that you were referring to? Where could I look at a picture of one? Just curious if I'm familiar with it but didn't know the name of it.

I think I will contact Tom Coate about the wiring files. They would be helpful!

You're heading the right direction on your project. (I found a mouse nest in mine, tonight, as I was looking at some stuff on it!)

Gary

Do You Yahoo!?
Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail.