Re: (ET) Trouble, first two forward speeds

On 20 Jan 2002 at 13:27, Max Hall wrote:

> - reverse is fine, behaves as normal
> - forward though, does these:
>     - on the first "click" (as you push the lever from off) the motor
>     doesn't turn, but lots of current is drawn (in the yellow range on
> the
>     "power use" meter) - on the second click, same behavior, roughly the
>     same current - on the third click, there's a short delay (<1 sec) and
>     the motor takes off (and current draw goes into the red)

Sounds like your reversing relay has a burned contact.  This can be
caused by reversing direction before the tractor comes to a complete
stop, but sometimes it just happens for no apparent reason.  There is
a suppression component (an MOV, IIRC) on some ETs that's supposed to
prevent this, but it doesn't always do the job.

Bill has the replacement relay.  It's not identical but he includes a
connection diagram.  The relay is located on the back of the fuse
board under the hood.

If you're cheap and brave, there's another identical relay on the
fuse board (or at least there is on my E15), but only one set of
contacts is in use on it.  I think this second relay is for the field
weakening circuit.  If there's a usable equivalent set of contacts on
your damaged reverse relay, you may be able to swap the two.  It
worked for me.

David Roden
Akron OH USA