Re: (ET) Proud owner

In a message dated 1/15/02 9:53:19 AM, ssawtelle fcc net wrote:

<<

1 - Any thoughts on what to do with electric motors that have sat for ??

years. The mower motors were stuck but I freed them up by hand - I haven't

tried the main motor yet. Should they be pulled apart, oiled, greased, etc

etc??>>

i'd try turning the traction motor by hand first, and if it sounds/feels
ok,
she'll probably run ok given proper energy.
    in a recent back to life experience with a motor, i did above, applied
juice, and just got some clicks and groans.  but when i also turned it by
hand with power on, it first started turning slowly on its own, then after
some sputtering, it went up to proper speed, and has been running fine
since.
 an old timer told me this is not uncommon with motors that haven't run in
long time.  but be careful of hands near turning motor pully.
    mower deck motors maybe another story.  their bearings wear out much
faster than traction motor bearings, because of proximity to wet grass
etc.
if mower deck motors were originally stuck, there's a good chance of
needing
bearings/brushes.
    good luck, and congratulations to you new et owners, jon k   albany, ny