Re: (ET) Proud owner

On 15 Jan 2002 at 22:22, Oasis654 aol com wrote:

>  mower deck motors maybe another story.  their bearings wear out much
> faster than traction motor bearings, because of proximity to wet grass
> etc.

Yep, don't fool around with these.  If the mower motor bearings get worn
enough, the armature can wobble and break a magnet.  When that happens
it's time for a new one from Bill Gunn, and I hear it's big bucks.

If any of the mower motors feel the slightest bit rough, dismantle and
replace the bearings in all of them.  Actually, most of the time you only
need to change the bottom one (which is the easier one to change anyway).

Bearings are good for a few years, but people like to rinse the mower
deck after mowing, and water gets into the lower bearing, contaminates
the lubricant, and destroys the bearing.  I don't rinse the deck any
more; I scrape it with a wooden paint stirring stick.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
1991 Solectria Force 144vac
1991 Ford Escort Green/EV 128vdc
1979 General Engines ElectroPed 24vdc
1970 GE Elec-trak E15 36vdc
Thou shalt not send me any thing which says unto thee, "send this to all
thou knowest."  Neither shalt thou send me any spam, lest I smite thee.