Re: (ET) Electronic controller

Are the motors in the bigger tractors similar to the one in the E12?
I.e., it looks like a shunt wound motor with two 1/4-20 studs for the
armature and a pair of male spades for the field?

For what it's worth I used a controller made for a PM field motor and just
kept the factory reversing method.  I used a Scoota 120 from
http://www.4qd.co.uk/ and it's been working perfectly.  I have to admit
the tractor is used as a toy rather than for real work, though...Bob

Gary Woodard wrote:
>  I was going
> to try to come up with a solid state controller, but didn't,
> so.........it just sits, waiting for me to get the time!  I used it for
> over 12 years. Bought it new. Have an excellent snow thrower for it that
> I'd like to be able to use right now, but as you said, the problem gets
> worse in cold weather. A new technology speed control on the ETs would
> make them compete very well with any mower in this new century!

I too have had thoughts of putting an electronic controller into my E-20
(which gets stuck in cruise control even when I don't ask it to...). As
the ElecTrak has a sep-ex motor, matching controllers are a little
tricky to come by.

What I have so far is that a Curtis (model 1242?), or a Golftech unit
(remanufactured? no schematics?), or a SEM2 (much bigger than needed as
meant for on-road EVs) might work. DAX controls
(http://www.daxcontrols.com) has a sep-ex controller that would probably
be about right, but hasn't gone into production. I still need to do some
more research...

_________
Jim Coate
1992 Chevy S-10