RE: (ET) Intro: Just bought an Elec-Trac

-----Original Message-----
From: Christopher Zach [mailto:czach computer org]
Sent: Monday, January 07, 2002 1:09 PM
To: Elie, Larry (L.D.); elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu
Subject: Re: (ET) Intro: Just bought an Elec-Trac

Golf carts then are the answer. Will find 6 somewhere :-) Can the front
mower do a rear discharge?

Yes.  The front-mount mower is changed from side to rear discharge by
changing the baffles.  Bill Gunn can sell you a kit.  Rear discharge is
not a good option unless you mow when the grass is still short, or so Bill
says.  You also may have to change the blades.  But rear discharge lets
you mow close on both sides.

Another (cheap) option for you batteries (just to see if you like the
tractor) is to buy a matched set of 6 golf cart batteries from a golf-cart
dealer.  Year old batteries are typically $25 each or less, and they will
test them for you while you watch.  I have been told some people have
bought such sets for $10 each!  I have yet to be so lucky.

BTW, charge current from the charger peaks well beyond the 7 A you are
quoting.  The batteries are 205 to 225 Amp Hours, so even if you only use
25% of the capacity, you are going to be charging long hours.

Larry Elie