From: David Roden (Akron OH USA) [mailto:roden ald net]
Sent: Monday, January 07, 2002 11:32 AM
To: elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu
Subject: Re: (ET) Intro: Just bought an Elec-Trac

On 6 Jan 2002 at 20:22, Christopher Zach wrote:

> I'm planning on putting new batteries in, and replacing the main charger
> with a 12 volt input to the batteries (in parallel with diode blockers).

The electrical engineers on the list should correct me if I'm wrong, but
I think this will only work if you have a separate, isolated charger for
each 12v battery.  If you want to use a single charger, connecting the
batteries in parallel to charge and in series to run, I believe you will
need multiple heavy-duty switches, heavy-duty contactors (relays), or
quick-change plug connectors.

There may be a way to substitute diodes for ~some~ of the contactors.

I charge my tractor with three 12v battery chargers.  Works great.  No
diode isolation needed.

> 1) Can one run 3 12 volt batteries, or does the Elec-Trak need 6 6volts?

I use six group 24 12v gel batteries in series parallel.  Works well for
me. They have appreciably less capacity than six 6-v golf car batteries
in series, but it's enough capacity for my needs.

I connected the lift motor to 24 volts.  No problems so far.

> 2) Can one use standard golf cart batteries, or do I get the T105's?

T-105s ~are~ standard golf car batteries.

> Anyone live in NJ and want to help me get this thing onto a truck?

Sorry, don't live there ... <g>

> 4) Is it possible to put the mower on the center of the tractor instead
> of out front?

The E12M had a mid-mount mower.  Its chassis is a little longer to
accommodate it.  I think you would have to make major changes in the
mower or tractor to make this work.

5) Is it possible to put a clipping bagger on the tractor, or
> is that not going to work?

There is a vacuum gadget that was made for the ET that trails along
behind the tractor.  Don't know about simple baggers, though.  I don't
think GE ever made one.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
1991 Solectria Force 144vac
1991 Ford Escort Green/EV 128vdc
1979 General Engines ElectroPed 24vdc
1970 GE Elec-trak E15 36vdc
Thou shalt not send me any thing which says unto thee, "send this to all
thou knowest."  Neither shalt thou send me any spam, lest I smite thee.