Re: (ET) Intro: Just bought an Elec-Trac

Golf carts then are the answer. Will find 6 somewhere :-) Can the front
mower do a rear discharge?

> Lastly, the charger takes a fair amount of power.  Max current is 14.5
Amps at 115V.  That's more than your 1400
> W inverter, but typical high current is 'only' about 8 Amps.  I don't
think your panels will charge the thing in a single
> day, and probably not in two.

Running a charger off the inverter isn't a great idea. If it's an induction
type charger (big transformer) then it would be wasting a *lot* of power
into heat. Also they tend to pull power off the peaks of the 60 cycle sine
wave, and the inverter is a modified square-wave (most power is at the .707
of the sine wave).

My actual plan is to charge straight off the panels using one to three
Solarex style regulators or (if I am going to go full 36v) a straight zener
diode/blocking diode to limit the voltage to the charge set level. The
panels (if I get another one) will put out a max of 15v at 7amps under
reasonable light conditions. Running that in series will give me a 7 amp
charge rate*4 hours a day. 125 amps a week, which should be enough to mow
the lawn.

I probably could have done this with a simple electric mower, but nooooo...
I have to get the 900lb tractor... I must be nuts.

Chris

I'm