(ET) Quick response

Thanks to all for your quick response to my voltage measurement question.

Perhaps I should make sure I have clarified the problem.

   1.  The highest voltage I have EVER read is 39.2v

   2.  This is with the charger charging.

   3.  The power disconnect is on.

   4.  The needle is into the white about 1/8 inch.

   5.  This is with a NEW battery pack.

   6.  I am measuring from the positive terminal of the front battery
       closest to the "firewall" and the negative terminal of the right
rear
       battery.

   7. Each indivudal battery measures 6.5 +/- .1v

Am I measuring at the right place?  And yes the batteries are gassing.

Marty