(ET) Permanent (?) Magnets

 - Greetings -

Jim just posed a great question regarding magnets epoxied in place inside
mower motors.  Many epoxies soften sufficiently at 212 F to allow an
assembly to be taken apart.  I do not know if epoxy regains any strength
on cooling.  If it is a matter of epoxy holding a magnet in position and
the magnet moves, regained strength is immaterial.  The motor must be
disassembled so that magnet may be epoxied in the original position.

I have used a 100 W soldering iron to soften epoxy holding a Sears saw
motor together so that it could be rewound.  Perhaps I could have boiled
the motor until the epoxy was tender, but that may have created other
problems.

                                        Rhett George