Re: mower deck motors, bearings, was: Re: (ET) Weeder / Cultivator

For what it is worth, I just ordered some new cultivator parts from Bill
and
had a chat with him about bearings and gear box lube. He says that there
are
no bearings in the cultivator - they are bushings. He also says that they
should last a long time before becoming a problem. As to the gear box lube,
he says there is no specification for the type of lube. Bill says that many
try to use the same type of gear oil that is in the transmission, but the
gear box was not designed for that type of lube. When I asked him what type
of lube to use, he recommended Lubriplate - a white soft grease, similar to
many medical creams in consistency. I actually knew what it was because I
have some (use it in my electronics business). It is just thick enough to
stick to things, but soft enough to move around an relube parts as needed.
Incidentally, I had to order a new field and armature because mine burned
up
after about 15 minutes use last week. I think a rock got stuck in the tines
(had happened several times) and since my switch was sticky, power was not
immediately shut off when I let go of the trigger. This must have caused
wires to over heat and start melting (which they did). Motor still actually
works, but starts heating up very quickly (must have a shorted winding?).
This time I am going to put in a circuit breaker because there is none in
the cultivator. It uses the 50A ET breaker - way too large. I guess I will
start with fuses to find the right size and then get a DC breaker. 10A
should be a good starting point. Actually, I guess I should get a dual
device that is both thermal and current activated - kind of like the
breaker
on the mower motors. Anyone have any thoughts or ideas here?

Don Cohen