RE: (ET) Re: ET mower motor removal...it worked!

The nylocks will last for at least 5 years (mine have to date) and
probably longer.

Nylocks have another problem; you have to 'wrench' them all the way.
They are never finger tight.  To make life easy, you get the bolt as
short as you can (rule of thumb is 1.5 to 3 turn showing after nut,
depending on whose thumb) so you don't have to work too hard.

The flange nuts don't have to be very strong; normal hardware store
grade ss (18-8) are about grade 2 and they work fine.  You can get
304 SS (about grade 7) if you look around, 3 lines on the top or a
stamp 304 tells you what you have.  If you want real strong ones
you can get 12 point heads on them as well and 304L, but now we are
talking money, and you don't need that strength on sheet metal.
Those are usually only used on high-temperature pressure vessels and
vacuum systems that are baked to high temperature.  They still
aren't as strong as other alloys at room temperature; their only
purpose in life is corrosion resistance and temperature.

As far as galling; a little drop of anti-seize compound on the thread
works fine.  It doesn't take much.  If you don't get them real hot,
you might get away without even that.  Heat tends to drive out any
oil-type lubes and that makes galling worse.

Larry Elie