RE: (ET) locked-motors, relays

On 28 Aug 2000, at 10:44, Elie, Larry (L.D.) wrote:

> BTW, I have a 3-3/8" motor that I can't get the cap off either.  I am
> tempted to split the top of the shell at the edge with a cold ch

I had to rip the top off of one of my small diameter motors.  I removed
the screws, then took a pair of longnose pliers to it from there, ripping
open the side down to the motor shell as if I were using a can opener.
Crude but effective.

> My E-12 has NEVER welded contacts.

After I burned the reverse relay contacts on my E15 doing rapid
forward/reverse changes while grading some earth, I repaired things and
then watched the relay while reversing the motor (in neutral).  There was
a big, fat arc every time the relay pulled in or dropped out while the
motor was still turning.  That's defininitely not good for the relay.

I suppose my varistor could be bad, but it's not that tough to just wait
until the motor stops before reversing direction.  I never get arcs when
I do that.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
1991 Solectria Force 144vac
1991 Ford Escort Green/EV 128vdc
1979 General Engines ElectroPed 24vdc
1974 Honda Civic EV 96vdc
1970 GE Elec-trak E15 36vdc
NOTE: If you receive an email which exhorts you to "Send
this to everyone you know," you don't know me.