RE: (ET) Chargers

On 31 Jul 2000, at 22:20, Rick Barnes wrote:

>  I don't think GE would like to hear you bad
> mouthing their product...

Easy, Rick, I wasn't badmouthing anything.

My warning was about motor starting capacitors.  If you use the wrong
type of cap, it will overheat and probably explode.  It doesn't matter
who makes it or how good it is.

As for the voltage, be careful.  The waveforms across the cap winding in
a ferroresonant transformer can be odd ones.  Peak voltage may be
appreciably higher than you can measure with a multimeter.

It's hard to imagine why GE would include an 800v cap in the charger if
it wasn't necessary.  350v is a lot less than 800v.  I'd rather spend a
little more money and be sure.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
1991 Solectria Force 144vac
1991 Ford Escort Green/EV 128vdc
1979 General Engines ElectroPed 24vdc
1974 Honda Civic EV 96vdc
1970 GE Elec-trak E15 36vdc
NOTE: If you receive an email which exhorts you to "Send
this to everyone you know," you don't know me.