Re: (ET) Chargers

I post these test items as one who uses them frequently and I have found
the best deals for the money out there and so pass them on to those
interested.

The Supco capacitor tester at 60.00 (Grainger # 3T-106) is 1/2 to 1/4
the price of others out there and features a direct digital readout. I
have had one on my truck for ten years and it has never failed.

Supco also makes a great (also have had one for 10 yrs) megohm-meter
(Grainger # 3T-105) for testing wire insulation breakdown at high
voltage (500v dc) for about $100.00 which again is 1/2 to 1/8 the price
of other units. This is used to find shorts in transformer and motor
windings that don't show up with multimeters as they often don't short
until power is applied and the "juice" jumps thru the insulation. It
runs off a standard 9v battery. My motor rebuilder liked mine so much he
got one for himself immediately. He'd been using an expensive hand
cranked unit for years.

Another fun tool to watch for at yard sales is a Growler which is also
used to test for shorts on armatures such as the ET's main, mower deck,
etc. A hack saw blade and a growler will pick out a bad armature in a
heartbeat. Every repair garage used to have one but today everyone just
replaces starters , etc, if suspicious. So growlers are available cheap.

Jim
http://people.ne.mediaone.net/fiskfarm/GE-Wheelhorse.Elec-Trak.html

E-20*
I-5*
E-12M
B-145*
C-185
E-141
Yamaha Golf Car*
and these are just our EV's in running condition!
* denotes with battery used daily