(ET) Trouble with battreis, speed control, and mower???

Greetings,

We have an eco centre where we endevour to demonstrate eco technology at work. However I am still very much a student when it comes to the care and feeding of the technology.

I do love our ET-15 but it has been laid up for a year waiting for some parts and it did get rained on a couple of times before I stored in our shed. Over the winter I charged the batteries a couple of times and put a light bulb under its cover to keep it cosy during the coldest months.

I am afraid that the dampness or the cold got the better of it. When did my repairs and started to prepare to put it to work I discovered a few things that concerned me. I found no referance in the owners manual that enlightened me on these issues. Please share with me any insights you may have into its issues issues.

1. The power pack appeared to be fully charged but when I checked the cells their specific gravity would range from 1125- 1175. The spread concerned me a little but the low level concerned me more. No plates were exposed but the electrolite was generally low. I charged it for a few hours with no appreciable change in the ?fuel level? meter. When I started to use the tractor I noticed that it seemed listless and under powered the fuel level meter immediately ?full? to ?low ? and it seems to struggle under load. So I stopped and checked for undue friction. However the wheels were free and the brake was not dragging so put it on charge again and toped up the cells with distilled water. After a ?6 to 10 ? year? charge (7 hours) it only showed 85% full. I do not want to over charge the pack. But something seems amis. Are my batteries toast or just out of shape? Do I continue to charge them or am I facing replacing them?

2. The Speed Control lever would shift from forward to reverse normally but would not accelerate to a higher speed at all just ?on or off? All the graduated speed control had disappeared. Could this be related to the low battery level or are there switch contacts that need to be cleaned?

3. When I inspected the mover I discovered that one of the blades was a little stiff and when I tried it under power the motor would heat up. Is this a lubrication issue (if so where do I lubricate?) or could the shaft or bearing be worn or damaged? What are the possibilities and how should I approach it.?

Help!

Garnet McPherson ? lifesmith hotmail com
Green Planet Foundation ? Eco Centre
Colborne Ontario
(ET15 & Commuta-Car)