RE: (ET) charger info

My rule is, if you use an battery operated device then you recharge it when
you are done. It would be hard to over charge the batteries with the
charger
inside the tractor. I have an E-meter on my E14 (now more like a E20 with a
motor replacement). So I have a good feel for the charger. If the cells are
out-gassing a lot and the battery is warm to hot  then you are over
charging. You have to leave it on for a long time with good  batteries to
get to this point. If your batteries are of low capacity or have a shorted
cell then they will out-gas and become warm in a short amount of time.

I use an automotive regulated charger with cut off, set in the high charge
mode to do my equalizing charge about once every six weeks or so. With an
10
amp charger it takes six to eight hours to get the 220 amp hr. batteries up
to about 15 volts. This is done after the E-meter says the batteries are
full using the internal charger. I have to do this three time as the
charger
is for 12 volts.

Use a volt meter and hydrometer if you are not sure. but after awhile you
can tell just by the sound of the bubbling if they are at full charge or
not. Remember ambient temperature will affect all of this. What works in
the
summer will not work the same in the winter.

  Dwight

Dwight L. Hazen, Indiana University, UITS
Bloomington, In. 47408-7378 812-855-5367 hazen indiana edu
http://php.ucs.indiana.edu/~hazen/ Ham Radio wb9tlh arrl net