Re: (ET) charger info

> Say I use my tractor
> for 30 minutes or so, to move something, mow a small patch, etc...
> How would I know where to set the charger at to recharge my
> batteries, rather than just guessing at the amount of discharge and
> setting it at "A-I"?

30 minutes is actually a significant amount of use time.  If you were
just moving it out of the garage, around the driveway, and back in, that
would be pretty inconsequential.

The rule of thumb I've heard for lead batteries is to charge them if you
have withdrawn 5% or more of capacity (measured as amp-hours at the 20-
hour rate).  If the battery will be unused for some time (say 24 hours or
more) this becomes more critical.  The reason is that, with time, the
lead sulfate formed during discharge becomes less able to take part in
the chemical reaction during charge; thus capacity is lost.

How do you know how many amp-hours you've used?  Some folks have added
amp-hour or watt-hour meters to their ETs.  One such animal is made by
Cruising Equipment and is called the E-meter.  It is a bit tricky to
install; if you add one, follow the wiring diagrams ~exactly~ or you will
destroy it.  They cost around $200.

The problem in this case is that the ET's crude charger control (a timer)
may make the risk of overcharging the batteries greater than the risk of
sulfation from leaving them sit.  But for 30 minutes of mowing, I'd say
running the charger for an hour or so shouldn't hurt and might help.

BTW, for those whose chargers fail, here's a quick and dirty fix.  Junk
the charger and buy three $40 automatic car battery chargers at the
hardware store.  Reconnect your lift so it's at either 12 or 24 volts (so
you can pair evenly discharged batteries).  Connect the chargers to pairs
of 6v batteries.  If you have small enough chargers, they may even fit in
the front of the tractor where the old charger was, and can be connected
permanently to the batteries (I recommend a 15 amp fuse in each charger
connection).

Now you have better (though still not optimal) charge regulation, and the
chargers can put more into the batteries which run the lift (which are
always lower than the rest of the pack) without overcharging the ones
that don't.  I still recommend unplugging the chargers after 18-24 hours,
however.  I use this method with a shutoff timer.

By the way, most capacity loss attributed to memory effect in nicads is
caused by depressed voltage.  Repeated overcharge can cause the nominal
voltage to drop.  Even though the same amount of energy is available from
the battery, the voltage drops below the electronic device's minimum
voltage threshold sooner.  The cure is a complete discharge to zero volts
followed by a full equalizing charge.

As for lead batteries, I have only heard of one case of alleged memory
effect.  It involved Hawker Genesis batteries ~only~.  It manifested
itself as a premature rapid loss of capacity.  I haven't been able to
learn more about this problem yet, so I may be premature in calling it
"memory effect."

Hope this helps.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
1991 Solectria Force 144vac