RE: Current sensing

Max,
        In industry when measuring large DC currents we typically use a 50
mV shunt.  This is no more than a large resistor machined out of brass or
copper sized to have a 50 mV drop at a specified current.  You then use a
50
mV voltmeter.  The resistance is pretty stable with time and temperature.
Also, it is a rigid assembly where your voltage sense connections are
separate from your current carrying connections so mechanical movement,
vibration, loose connections do not affect the calibration.  Corrosion
could
have a small long term change in calibration.  (These are available from
Newark Electronics for about $25 each.)
        I would hesitate to use a wire for a shunt because flex and the
conditions of the terminations could affect the resistance.  A shunt wisely
separates the voltage sense connection from current connections.
        The current meter in the GE's themselves uses a crude shunt.  I am
doubtful that they are accurate judging by the multiple voltage sensing
screw positions.  They are probably very repeatable.
        There are also now available Hall effect current sensors.  They are
shaped like a dougnut and you pass the wire you wish to know the current of
through the hole.  Their output is proportional to input, DC or AC.  They
are subject to zero drift due to stray magnetic fields.  There is no
voltage
drop associated with them, whereas the industry standard shunts have 50 mV.
(These are also available from Newark Electronics for $25 to $40.)

-Steve Naugler