Re: Current sensing

> I must be missing the design theory for large current measure, because it
> has to be cheaper and easier than things like....
As suggested in other posts, a purpose designed shunt will work
best.  If you want to save some money, you could use one of the
power cables already on board as your shunt.  If you know what
gauge the wire is, there are tables of resistance for each American
Wire Gauge (AWG) size.  Based on that, you can determine the
length of wire to give the desired resistance for the full deflection
panel action.  Let me know if you want more details.

The advantage is that you are not dissipating any additional power,
you need the power leads anyway.  I built a couple of these years
ago, and they were accurate within 10% when tested against a
professional, calibrated meter (and the Radio Shack millivolt-meter
was only rated as being within 10%).

Darryl McMahon             48 Tarquin Crescent,
 It's your planet.         Nepean, Ontario K2H 8J8
 If you won't look         Voice: (613)828-0805
 after it, who will?       Fax:   (613)828-3199