RE: Helping the batteries perfom in the cold.

        Hydrogen is both very dangerous and safe.  It is dangerouse because
of its flamability.  It is safe because it diffuses extremely quickly.
Before the very light hydrogen gas could pool at a ceiling it would be even
diffused throughout the room (garage).
        t is important that you  open the battery covers (hood and seat)
while charging.  Closing the hood while charging would likely expose the
charger timer contacts to an explosive concentration of hydrogen.  With the
hood open you probably never see an explosive concentration except in the
battery or immmediately around the battery fill caps.  I personally charge
my E15 in a closed 2 car garage and haven't blown it up yet.