sad news, forwarded from Geoff

  Roderick Pipe has died, and Geoff wrote this remembrance.  There isn't
much more info on Campanophile yet.  Sad news for David, Henry, and the
rest of the family.

"Roderick Pipe was one of the finest ringers who ever lived: his aura made
everyone he was ringing with want to know the method, stick to it and
strike their best. To be invited to ring with him was an honor and a
privilege, and I had that honor on many wonderful occasions. Roderick was
an exceptionally talented composer on all numbers of bells, particularly
the higher numbers. Many of his compositions are true classics that often
are a challenge to ring, call and conduct. For example, to ring in one of
his compositions of 5021 Glasgow Surprise Major (which come round at
handstroke after some overwhelmingly beautiful music in the last course)
is cause for celebration. He also was a master conductor, one of those
very rare conductors who knows where all the bells are all the time,
whatever the number. He was a tall, courteous and kindly man, much like
his father Cecil Pipe of Grundisborough, Suffolk. Most of all he was my
friend and I shall miss him. It was a priviledge to know!
 you, Roddy. Rest in peace my friend."

Geoffrey Davies