Re: [apmultiples] more ranting on gender stereotypes

Karen S. writes:
> She has nothing against pink (though she hates dresses), but her
> favorite activities (tree climbing, playing with dinosaurs and trucks,
> discussing space travel) seem to be off limits for girls in her new
> school.  She wanted to play with the "dinos," but told me that this
> school that the dinos were for boys.  I am really frustrated by this
> and concerned about how to make her feel good about who she is in this
> culture.

Are you getting this only from her, or have you confirmed it through
direct observation?  I'm sure there's a problem, but the problem might
be either, "There really is a culture in the classroom that boys do some
things and girls do other things," or it might be, "Your daughter
perceives that boys do some things and girls do other things."  For
example, she might get the latter impression from one particular child,
or a small clique, in which case you might be able to work on the
problem just by working on whom she interacts with.

It really seems necessary to me to find out what the teacher thinks, and
also to have some direct observation in the classroom, to see how it
really seems from an adult point of view.

  -- David desJardins

"There is no such thing in anyone's life as an unimportant day." -
Alexander Woollcott, American Author

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/GCOolB/TM