[apmultiples] choosing clothes

>I can't imagine that I'll go to letting them choose what to purchase for
>wear as I have to clearance and thrift store shop so the risks are high
>that they'd want pricy stuff.  Although they can and do help with
>clearance and thrift store shopping.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant to say choose *from the closet and
drawers.* I rarely buy clothes (new, anyway) since we've been lucky to
have lots of "hand me 'rounds" given to us.
With my older two, we gave small allowances. Then we paid them to
babysit the little ones. The boy would save his money for electronic
toys, the girl started spending it on little gifts for her friends but
then took over the purchasing of her own clothes when she started
babysitting.
We have no money for allowances for the little ones, but when they are
given money for Xmas, birthdays, etc. they have the option of buying
clothes. The boys say, "Why would I buy clothes? I have one pair of cool
pants already." The girls say, "When is the next sale at La Senza Girl?"
I know that many would consider that a stereotypical choice, but I can't
imagine why I would want to discourage anything. I try to guide them
(value, quality, etc.). The only thing I really get heavy-handed about
is books -- if it is money for brother, it isn't meant to go for "TV
books" -- This is a good example of the "choice within limits" -- you
can buy anything on this shelf; you can choose any pair of shoes under
$20., etc.
Moreover, their Xmas lists reflect their choices.
Out of interest, my children have never really been demanding about name
brands. La Senza isn't the only place they shop; they usually get
Zellers and Frenchy's (second hand) is their favourite. When my older
ones were getting to the age that it mattered, we did an educational
program at our church on sweatshops, and so many of the name brands were
dismal that *they* started saying, "Isn't Nike sweatshop? I don't want
Nike." And my older daughter *totally* influences her younger sisters'
choices, so they don't wear most of those brands either. (Haven't
checked out La Senza, actually, so I might have to do another
educational campaign.)
The best place to let them choose is a second-hand store. Or, when they
are older, tell them they have a set amount (say $20) for back-to-school
clothes. They'll see that they have money for one piece of clothing at a
medium-priced store, two at a cheaper store, or ten at a second-hand
store, and guess what they'll choose!!
Jo-Anne

"There is no such thing in anyone's life as an unimportant day." -
Alexander Woollcott, American Author

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/GCOolB/TM