(ET) BB600 NiCad replacement batteries charging cycle

Hi!  I have a E20 that I bought used about a year ago, and have slowly
been getting it into operating condition.  At this point, I've freed
up the front casters on the mower, replaced the lead-acid batteries it
came with with BB600 NiCds, have partially rebuilt the wiring harness,
and have a couple of issues:

a) I understand from lurking that the BB600s should be chargeable
using the original built-in charger.  I get some results, but don't
seem to have a full charge.
--what setting on the charger is best for these batteries?
--I'm going to rebuild the rest of the wiring harness when I get a
chance, in case that's causing trouble
--the brake works in parking brake mode, but doesn't seem to do much
otherwise.  I have the manual, and am going to attempt to adjust the
crown nut as described
--the mower blades need to be sharpened.  Is there a best practice?
SHould I look for the original sharpener, or just take a file to them?
 I'm planning on trying a file.
--my "fuel gauge" reads low or dead, all the time.  Occasionally it
dips into the negative realm, which makes me wonder if it's actually
wired backwards.  I'll be taking a multimeter to it to see what
readings that gives.
--sometimes, the mower will run but the drive motor won't, shortly
before the point at which nothing happens at all.  I would have
expected them both to give up the ghost at the same time.  Any
thoughts?

I know I should check and oil all suitable points, use a grease gun on
the appropriate points, and check the level of the oil in the
transaxle.  Is there any other maintenance that I should be doing
after this thing has sat for 10 years or so?  Should I drain the
transaxle or just top it off?

I hope to use the E20 to care for a small garden patch that is
currently sod.  Do I want a tiller or a Brinly plow to break the
ground, or both, or something else.  I already have a gas-powered
rototiller, but I hope to get rid of that in favor of an electric
attachment.

Mike Bergman
www.prospecthillforge.com
www.isebastiani.com