Re: (ET) battery gases

Mike, in addition to Ken's advice, I would put an airtight, spark-impervious cover over the battery space with just the problem post exposed before doing the grinding.

The issue is hydrogen gas that may still be in the batteries after (over) charging. It's highly flammable in the atmosphere (20% oxygen), and within the battery space, the containment can be explosive.

The cover will also protect the battery tops from pitting from the landing sparks.

If you have moved the threaded stud within the cast-lead post, the integrity of the post may already be compromised anyway. There used to be a battery shop in my area that had the molds and equipment to reform/recast a damaged battery post, but they have been gone for years. I don't know if this is even done anymore.

Not suggesting this is a great idea, but if I was facing this, I would file off some thread from the post with a hand file on two sides to get a surface I could hold with strong vice-grips or a wrench, and try turning the nut against that leverage. If that works, the threads can be restored after by running the nut over them. (I would also be looking for a possible used replacement battery in case the post is not recoverable.)

Darryl McMahon