Re: (ET) battery gases

I actually don't think that I'd take the caps off.  If I did, I'd put them
back on before starting the grinder.  I might even plug the filler holes
with something more solid.

I'd definitely make sure the battery was off charge for a week or so
before
tackling this.  If possible, burp it a few times (bump or jostle it) to
release trapped gas bubbles.

I'd also recommend that you get out a big fan, aim it at the battery box,
and let it ventilate things thoroughly for a few minutes before starting.

A possible non-sparky solution, if you can get enough clearance to use it:

https://www.amazon.com/Tool-International-KTI70715-Universal-
Splitter/dp/B00N3YAMIA

or https://v.gd/sV57y0

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA