(ET) battery gases

I have dual terminal batteries, post and threaded stud that are part of an
interchangeable golf cart/Electrak set.
 I can not unscrew the stud nut (cross threaded?) because now the stud is
turning instead. I have to get the connected wires off (I removed them
from the cart at the other end) and have to resort to grinding the nut off
which i plan to do in the middle of the driveway.
Do I run a risk of sparks igniting sulfuric acid fumes? I would assume the
stud is not usable if it will now spin. I have found a post clamp that has
a stud on it that should work. Thoughts?
Mike