Re: (ET) E-20 Rebuild w/Electronic Controller Kit

I found a BMS setup from Chargery. They make a range of controllers and SSRs [solid state relays]  I have one of their units that can handle the 10s Lion batteries  I am using.  I got the 200Amp SSR, which is good for 100A continuous.  Mowing, I see 45-65 amps depending on hills, speed, grass density.  I ended up with this brand, because what I found at the time was a choice of super expensive BMSs, that cost more than the batteries, or super cheap ones, that would likely not really do the job.  The Chargery BMSs are made in china, and as I expected, I needed to do some QC and insulation improvements, but so far it's been working.

Jumping back a bit, I had crummy luck with the $100.00 batteries from big box stores.

For the Lithium batteries, you need one BMS for the full pack voltage.   You can group cells in parallel, and then series, to get the AH and voltage you want to run.

The biggest safety risks arise from over charge, over current and over discharge.  Which is why you want a BMS.   One of the jobs of the BMS is to watch that the cells are all close to the same charge level.  Under charge, overcharge, out of balance, over current all trigger the SSR to open.  There are also limits on temperature extremes for charging and discharging, which should be look into before deciding which type of battery you choose.  My tractor is stored and charged in a temperature controlled environment, so a lot of these problems I don't have.  I did also install fans on thermostats to cool them if needed, If I were to run in the sun in summer, etc.

The batteries I got were surplus ones made for BMW i3 cars.
I have a bunch of pictures on facebook, or I can send some via email.
Dave