Re: (ET) Does battery voltage affect amp gauge?

Sort of.

If the batteries really had a lower voltage then the tractor would need to draw more amps to produce the same amount of power. Amps are what heat cables, so the less amps (higher voltage) the better.

Now the Amp meter is simply a sensitive volt meter reading voltage across a shunt, in this case a specific length of wire from the batteries to the tractor. The more current you pull the more resistance there is and thus the higher the voltage drop is over that length of cable.

If the cable's ends are not terminated properly or are dirty the amp meter will read high (and the cables will get warm). Likewise if someone changed the length of cable the amp meter will read low (less voltage drop).

I think the problem is the cable connectors are dirty/corroded/loose.